Relationships are a wonderful, strange, tragic thing. My first wife and I divorced over 20 years ago. We had one son, who I love more than life. He was six. My wife eventually moved in and married her boss, a lawyer. My son lived with them, but I made every effort to stay in touch. Attended all his hockey games, baseball games, talked on the phone, spent weekends and traveled together-everything I could do.
After the divorce I spent two long sessions in hospital suffering from severe depression. The circumstances of the marriage and the divorce damned near killed me. I never recovered, and finally had to take early retirement on a disability pension. I have given up on Psychiatry and Psychology, as I think they are a sham, not even a Science. That topic later, I promise.
Eventually, I re-married. I found it necessary to leave my home town to move where my new wife could find work. I cannot tell you how many tears I cried at leaving my beloved son behind. He says now that I took him on a 15 year emotional roller coaster.I guess I did, I felt so guilty about leaving him, although I did my best to stay in touch no matter where I lived. I guess it wasn't enough. To wit:
Flash forward to the present. My son, now age 29 is getting married back in my home Province. Thinking it would be one of the greatest days of my life, I make plans to attend. Looking back, I can see strange signals I should have picked up on. His future wife did not want to communicate with me-even by email-until "after she met me". Other signs as well. But I blundered ahead, sent all kinds of gifts, getting more and more excited. Arrived at wedding site early, expecting some pre-wedding get togethers, but spent most of my time sitting in a motel room. Thankfully,I had had the sense to invite a beloved Aunt, and two close friends of over 40 years. My sub-conscious must have been sending out warnings.
The wedding day. I arrived at the church to find that there was no reserved space for the "Father of the Groom". I sit near the middle of the church. His mother and step father in the front row. The reception- I asked to make a short speech telling a short cute anecdote about my son. Not called on. When I got up to speak anyway, my ex blocked my way and refused to allow me to speak (guess who was running that wedding!!). I found myself completely excluded from the wedding pictures-I had to tell the photographer I was the groom's father-and he grudgingly took a couple of pictures- of me standing alone. The wedding pictures were published on line two weeks later- the step father in the role of father in all the pictures. Not ONE PICTURE of my son and I together. Heart broken, I complain to my son, who now will not speak to me or answer my emails.
Now I sit alone, depressed, heart broken, and humiliated. What could I possibly have done to be treated in this manner?? My friends say it is water under the bridge, I have to let go. (But they are 5000 km away!!) How do you let go of a relationship of almost 30 years with your own child, when I can't even identify what I did to be so horribly treated in this way?? It will be a long time before I get over this, but I will have to try. Appealing for mercy has certainly done no good. And, I guess my son has made his decision. He will have to live with it. I don't know if I can.
Hi Gary,
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time at your blog. It's very sad the way you were treated and you certainly didn't deserve this kind of treatment. I really don't know what to say except I feel your pain and I hope you can somehow solve this issue and find some sense and peace in the midst of all of this.
Prayer and faith always helps me in all of my trials.
Blessings,
Eren