I just finished reading the latest issue of The Economist, probably the most respected news magazine in the world, and the cover story, "Why America Locks UP TOO Many People", and I got to thinking about my old friend, the USA. To be honest, my friend, it is hard to recognize you anymore. I began paying you visits in the 1960's, before the horrors of the Vietnam War became all too apparent, and we really were buddies. I felt right at home in your living rooms, loved to visit Florida for Xmas vacation, made a trek to Maine two or three times a year, and though you laughed at MY accent, and thought it snowed 12 months of the year in my living room, I always felt at home with you. We were "kissing cousins" who were really comfortable together, and together accomplished a lot that was good.
I have to say, old buddy, that I don't feel welcome there any more!! You seem to cast your best friends into the same net as all "foreigners". And you seem to dislike those you label foreigners more and more all the time. Having just flown through your country, and gone through many Customs stops along the way, I fear you are suffering from xenophobia, old friend, and would be just as happy if we "foreigners" did not enter your country at all. You seem to forget that there have been many times when you needed your friends, and that today, you just might need them more than ever. Vietnam tainted your soul, and further wars have darkened it even more. Your attempts to keep "foreigners" out, forgetting all the time that you were all once foreigners yourself, is very puzzling to your long time friends. Your security, heightened to an almost ridiculous extent, really makes us feel unwanted by our old friends. The hassle is hardly worth the trouble any more. And your fences-well it might be funny if you weren't so serious about it.
But back to the magazine article. You are trying to rival China in the number of your citizens you are locking up and throwing away the proverbial key. And young black men more than ever!! Do you really think that you can lock your problems away behind prison walls? How many will have to be locked away before the fortunate few finally feel safe? And don't get me started on Arizona and other such states!
We still want to love you, but you are making it very hard for us, old friend. Be very careful, the number of friends you have around the world is dwindling, and there are only a few you can always count on. Be careful not to lose them too. We are finding it harder and harder to understand you. And we DO still want to be friends!! Remember, we are with you arm in arm in the gawdawful hole called Afghanistan.
Canada
In retrospect, I conclude that: Except perhaps for the onboard copy of "The Economist," the flights to the Maritimes would likely have been faster, maybe cheaper, and clearly less agravating aboard one of the Canadian flagship airlines. Lesson learned, Hey?
ReplyDeleteWe still like Canadians. I am not going to say anything other than that because I don't want to get into a political argument with someone who didn't grow up here and cannot vote here.We won't always see eye to eye. That is okay though because we live in different countries.
ReplyDeleteTrust me on this. The average American still loves her Canadian neighbors and probably always will.