One of the taboo subjects that most try to avoid: however I am going to wade in up to my neck, and see if anyone would like to disagree. Please feel free!!
I have been first an Agnostic, then an Atheist since my early teen years, when I started to have the sense to look around my world and the Universe surrounding it, and having all this created by a "god" just didn't make sense to me. What kind of being could create a Universe 13 billion years old, with hundreds of billions of stars, and probably even more planets? How could a god design the genetic code which ties all life on our Planet together? What about Evolution. Notice I didn't use the word "theory" as it is often misunderstood by those not versed in Science terminology.
However, this is not the main thrust of my Blog post today. I WANT PEOPLE TO SIGN A PETITION, CONDEMNING ALL, YES ALL ORGANIZED RELIGION.I want to see how many people would sign such a petition, and how far it will spread.
It is my thesis, then, that religion always has, and continues to be, the most dangerous of all the systems invented by humankind.Anyone who has studied World History must see that more people have died in the name of some god or other, than for any other cause. Humans, in the past, seemed to have a need for religion, probably to help explain what they didn't understand. The gods could be blamed when things went wrong, and praised when things went right-whether winning a battle or hitting the jackpot. Great work if you can get it!!
Please don't get me wrong-we are far from understanding everything, as a scientist tried to say around 1900. In fact, the great thing about science is that the more we discover, the more we find still to discover and explain, using SCIENTIFIC methods! I'm afraid the fundamentalist argument that a god hid all these clues around us to fool us in some way, and created the universe 5000 years ago is extremely ridiculous, and would even be funny, if so many people didn't believe it.
Watched an Episode of a Canadian TV show recently,(The Hour--if you can pick up CBC where you live, and want to see a talk show that is actually intelligent and thought provoking-watch it!!) and a guest (I forget his name)was a Christian who tried to argue that Atheists are as dangerous and indoctrinated as Fundamentalists, Christian or otherwise!! Now, I didn't understand what his argument really was, but I guess he felt he had to strike out some how!
I will say this now, and I mean it most sincerely: I don't give a damn if you worship a particular tree in the woods of Costa Rica or Russia. Feel free to worship who or what you want!! Just don't try to push your beliefs on someone else, and don't fight over the beliefs of someone else!! I am not trying to convince anyone that a god doesn't exist. I would never do that. But I will stand up for my beliefs, or the beliefs of anyone,as long as they don't try to push others into believing what they do. That was not said very well, and I will probably correct it when I am thinking a little more clearly.
Great post. You may be interested in one I did on symbols and labels recently: http://bit.ly/aNEQAi as well as one on connectedness: http://bit.ly/daiGyk
ReplyDeletePeace.
So sorry to take so long to get back to you. These last couple of months have been very "rocky", to say the least. Explanations and further posts will follow soon. And thanks as well for your very interesting posts!!
ReplyDelete